Friday, January 23, 2009

Job Hunting!!

Well for those of you who do not know, I have been looking for a teaching job for the last year since I graduated from college. Looking for a job is a very frustrating process. I have encountered some bumps along the way. The first thing that I need to do was to get my Texas Teaching Certificate. I had an Idaho Teaching Certificate and after a few interviews found out that most principals wouldn't even consider me for a job till I had my Texas Certificate. That was really discouraging because I needed to take three test and the all cost money. Well I finally took them all and passed them on the first try (Yea for me!!!!) and received my Texas Certificate in October. I have been handing out my resume to the principals at the schools that I have been substitute teaching at. I have gotten some good feed back and also some feedback that is very frustrating. Some principals want people with experience others want some with TAKS experience(this is the state standardized test that kids take starting in 3rd grade). My only thought to this is how am I supposed to get experience if no one will give me a job in the first place.

Today I went to a school to drop off my resume for a position that has been open since December. I haven't take the time to do this before now and I am regretting it. The position has been filled, even thought it is still on the districts website. I have decided that as soon as I see a position open that I need to go to that principal as soon as possible to show that I really want the job. It kind of sucks that getting a teaching job is a lot about who you know and a little about your qualifications. Hopefully things will start to get better and I will find a job before the end of the year, if not I better get one for next school year, because I have everything that is needed now, except experience.

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck!! I know my sister went through that too, she had to wait till the end of the school year, and find out what positions were available (who was leaving) then she had a lot of positions to consider. Good luck, I hope you find what you want....what grade do you want to teach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it is so stupid that most people do not look at all you have but if you know there friends then your in. that is the only way Andy got his job, was due to ryan knowing the bosses. But you be the first into the job opening and someone is bound to give you the job!! Keep your head up and maybe kick a few things to get out some frusteration!! good luck

    ReplyDelete